Inhalants are common household, industrial and medical products that produce vapours, which some people inhale (breathe in) to make them feel intoxicated or high.
Inhalants are inhaled through the nose or mouth. They may be sprayed into a plastic bag, poured into a bottle or soaked onto a cloth or sleeve before being inhaled. Sometimes they are inhaled directly from the container or are sprayed directly into the mouth or nose. This method is very dangerous because it can cause suffocation.
If you inhale a substance many times or use a particularly strong inhalant, you could overdose. If you have any of the symptoms below, call an ambulance straight away by dialing 999 or 112:
In the days after inhalant use, you may experience:
Most of these long-term effects can be reversed if use is stopped. However, some inhalants, such as cleaning products, correction fluid, aerosol sprays and petrol can cause permanent damage. Some chemicals can build up in the body and damage the stomach, intestines, brain, nervous system, kidneys and liver.
There is no safe level of drug use. Use of any drug always carries risk.
The effects of taking Inhalants with other drugs including over-the-counter or prescribed medications can be unpredictable and dangerous.